Kamala Harris still will be getting special protection from government security officers, even after President Donald Trump canceled a special extension of federal protection by the Secret Service that Joe Biden had ordered.
Former vice presidents get six months of protection, ordinarily, after they leave office, but Biden issued a secret order extending protection for Harris by a year.
Then, just as she was set to launch a book- and self-promoting tour that involves many stops across the country, Trump ordered that extension canceled.
Now, a report in the Washington Examiner explains the California Highway Patrol will take over those special extended protection duties, and they will be funded by California taxpayers.
“Harris’s Secret Service had been atypically expanded by former President Joe Biden beyond the six months after leaving office, typically allocated to former vice presidents. After Trump ended the protection in a memorandum on Thursday, California officials scrambled to add new security for Harris,” the report said.
There’s been no confirmation yet from Democrat Gov. Gavin Newsom, who would have to approve.
“Our office does not comment on security arrangements,” Newsom spokeswoman Izzy Gordon said.
NEW: The California Highway Patrol will offer security protection to Vice President Kamala Harris after Donald Trump revoked her Secret Service detail.
RETWEET to thank Commissioner Sean Duryee for protecting Vice President Harris! pic.twitter.com/KX7aDkeCPN
— Protect Kamala Harris ✊ (@DisavowTrump20) August 30, 2025
April, 2024. Three months before the attempt on his life, Democrats proposed legislation to strip Trump of his Secret Service protection. Then after the attempt, Bennie Thompson doubled down on removing Trump’s Secret Service protection. ☠️
Now they are whining about Kamala’s… pic.twitter.com/IPXYubwfvE
— Tony Seruga (@TonySeruga) August 30, 2025
Kamala Harris had her Secret Service protection cancelled by President Trump on Thursday.
Good. Having her escorted to go shopping at fancy stores had been a waste of our tax dollars.
Joe Biden had secretly extended her SS for a year.
Trump ended that. Kamala’s SS stops 9/1. pic.twitter.com/jwP4Z9F36D
— Paul A. Szypula (@Bubblebathgirl) August 29, 2025
The report noted there could be complications for Harris regarding “her upcoming” tour. She’s promoting a book about how she lost the 2024 presidential election after spending well over a billion dollars in three months.
It previously was reported that the reason Biden gave Harris special treatment were not revealed.
President Trump’s instructions to the Secret Service were: “You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris,”
‘Grateful’: Trump ends extended Secret Service staffing for Kamala Harris