
The federal government is considering a settlement in a lawsuit brought by President Donald Trump against the Internal Revenue Service over the fact the agency allowed his private and personal tax information to be leaked.
Trump has accused the IRS and the Treasury Department in a $10 billion lawsuit of failing to prevent that leak, which happened during his first term in the Oval Office.
A report at the Independent said the DOJ is holding internal discussions on the possibility.
The New York Times explained its sources said one component could be an IRS decision to end any audits of Trump, his family members and his businesses.
“President Trump continues to hold those who wrong America and Americans accountable,” said a statement released on behalf of Trump’s personal lawyers.
The president previously has suggested he could donate any money damages paid to correct the problem to charity.
The situation erupted when now former-IRS contractor Charles Edward Littlejohn gave the New York Times and ProPublica stolen confidential tax information from Trump’s IRS records.
Littlejohn had worked for defense tech firm Booz Allen Hamilton, and ended up following his scheming with five years in prison.
The case charged that the leaked information triggered “reputational and financial harm, public embarrassment” for Trump and “unfairly tarnished” his business reputation, portraying him in a “false light.”
The judge in the case has ordered Trump’s personal lawyers and the DOJ, which represents the IRS, to submit briefs by May 20 explaining whether they are in conflict, the report said.






